Thursday, March 14, 2013

An Inaccurate Memoir

This picture alone made me want to watch this movie.
An Inaccurate Memoir is a tale about a group of Chinese bandits trying to survive during the Japanese Occupation of China. Gao is the main protagonist who tricks the bandits into letting him join them by getting himself kidnapped and tries to gain their trust so they can help him assassinate the Emperor's brother.

The story is pretty easy to follow and has a few surprises in it. The characters are all pretty likable and the romantic story line doesn't seem too forced. One of my favorite scenes is what the picture above is taken from, the gang attempts to rob a bank and get held up inside after a shootout with the cops. How they get out of the bank is pretty hilarious.

The movie is in Chinese with English subtitles, I don't think all of the translation came out correctly because a couple times during the movie someone would shout "Punch your face!" and sometimes they would get hit with the butt end of a rifle. I think I set myself up for a more action oriented flick judging by the photo, so if you're expecting Hard Boiled, this isn't the movie for you.

I wish the trailer had subtitles, but check it out for yourself if you like Chinese cinema you should check this out.
4/5

Sweeet

No comments:

Post a Comment